Sunday, June 10, 2012

Dirty Dancing (the time of my life)

   Yeah, I'm reveiwing another total chick-flick. I apologize in advance for being so feminine, but even guys have to admit this movie does not entirely suck. It has good acting, a decent plot, good music (for it's time), and Patrick Swayze. This movie has no special qualities or innovative filming techniques, however it is a classic romantic movie that helped pave the way for the good-girl falls for bad-boy motif. To add to that it has some really good scenes (and by 'really good' I mean really cute) like the water scene where Johnny is teaching Baby how to do the lift. The cherry on top of this cute, girly cake is Patrick Swayze. He is quite theh eye candy and the way he moves his hips at some points is just drool worthy.
   Lets start with the acting; all the parts are well executed and well cast. Jennifer Grey plays the perfect girl next door who is searching for something more (I did not intentionally rhyme that) and Patrick Swayze plays the perfect bad boy dancer struggling to make it through. I can't gush about the acting because, while it is good, it has the same curse every 80s movie is plagued with: over acting. It's just my opinion, but they all seem like the actors and acctresses put a lot of effort into acting (some more than others). In some cases it makes the movie bad, or even funny, but this is not one of those cases. It's not over the top, just in the more emotional scenes, so it's reasonable and doesn't ruin the movie.
   The plot of the movie is really simple and romantic. It's the summer of 1963 and Baby Houseman (Jennfier Grey) goes to a summer getaway resort with her family. She has no interest in all the rich family activities and while walking stumbles upon the staff party house where they're dancing...well dirty. In short she ends up trying to help some of them out and winds up taking dancing lessons with Johnny Castle (Patrick Swayze). As the movie goes along you see their relationship and love for one another grow. So clearly this isn't a movie you watch with the boyfriend. To me this isn't a movie you watch curled up alone with ice cream, it's a movie you watch with your chick friends (if they like these kinda movies).
   The only things I can gush about in this movie are the romantic scenes, the soudtrack, and Patrick Swayze, so here it goes: The romantic scenes are plenty, and they aren't so much romantic as much as cute. Baby's homey character makes them innocent and sweet instead of sexy and passionate. Don't mistake that for me saying the movie is just cute because that is completely balanced with Johnny's 'I'm-a-badass' attitude. There are sweet scenes like the lift scene in the water, where Johnny is teaching Baby the lift for the performance (below).
 There is also the final dance scene to the song 'The Time of my life' that is just amazing in my opinion. However my favorite is when Johnny comes back (you'll have to watch the movie to know exactly what that means) and finds Baby and her family, looks her father right in the eye and says, "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." There are lots of other scenes that you just have to watch to see.
   I'm going to cover Patricck Swayze and the soundtrack in one paragraph to sum this all up. The soundtrack is great for it's time with sweet songs, sexy songs, and of course great dance songs. I want a copy of the soundtrack before I want a copy of the DVD itself. My last highlight of this film is Patrick Swayze. He's hot, he's muscular, and he can move his hips. And I'm sorry, but a man that can move hips just melts me, haha. The video below is a perfect example of his sexy hips (you have to wait till about 1:48 until his entry though).

No comments:

Post a Comment