Monday, July 2, 2012

Magic Mike (it's raining men!)



    Well ladies, they finally did it. They made a movie about male strippers. And they did it right. They picked the right actors, the story is good, and it's not just pointless sexy men the whole time (which is a bummer at some points). Overall this movie wasn't bad, and I'm not just saying that as a girl. Although I am mostly saying it as someone who likes original ideas, because lets face it Hollywood is just fresh out of anything good anymore. I don't believe I'll ever go to a theater again to watch a horror film because I have been so disappointed with all the recent ones...but that aside, this movie wasn't a re-gifted movie idea or a prequel or a 70-billionth sequel, or even a twisted obnoxious movie version of a novel! I was honestly just excited because of that fact...or maybe the half naked attractive men dancing on the screen? Eh.
   Honestly, this movie had no raw beauty to it, it wasn't shot too well, and there were no specific scenes that stand out in an innovative or creative stand point. However that was not this movies purpose at all. It served its purpose very well...make women feel all warm and tingly in unmentionable places. Two things I can praise however are casting and choreography. Bravo.
   Casting was done by Carmen Cuba and may I say again, bravo? I wish I could hug you. Seriously. I may not have found all the guys attractive, but out of the 7 guys I liked 5. Channing Tatum being my favorite...but he already knew what he was doing up there didn't he? ;)
My favorite scene (of course you don't see Matthew, and the only guys chest you get to see is the least buff...the scene as a whole is good though. I promise)
I won't go into immense detail about casting, because if you want to see this movie you should know these very attractive men...I must say, the two that surprised me the most were Joe Manganiello (Big Dick Richie) and Matt Bomer (Ken). These were my second favorite boys next to Mr. Tatum and his fine moving hips...mostly because I was completely unaware they could move like that! Now I'll admit, Kevin Nash is decent for his age and all, but he wasn't right for this movie. He didn't know the moves and it showed in some scenes. I didn't exactly like Alex Pettyfer either because he wasn't muscular or even that toned...and that seems shallow to say, but when the basis of your movie is hot male strippers the actors you pick should have three major qualities: they can act, they're hot and muscular, and they can do a strip tease (or be able to).
   This movie has a decent plot as well. Not an Oscar winner by any means, but it's not just half-naked guys dancing around for an hour and a half. There's a story to it...a somewhat sad story with an iffy, somewhat muddled ending, but still...a decent story. You couldn't expect anything amazing in that department. Basically Magic Mike starts tutoring this guy named Adam (nicknamed The Kid) and as Mike realizes he wants out of the business (a tragic loss to the world of male stripping...so tragic) Adam spirals deeper in. I'll leave it at that.
   There isn't much else to say about this movie. If you're a female (or a gay man...btw Matt Bomer is gay) with estrogen in your body and hormones raging everywhere you'll love this movie more than anything. Seriously, MALE STRIPPERS. That should be enough to get you excited. If you are any other person on the planet you probably would not like this movie very much. So men, I'm sorry if your wife/girlfriend/significant other drags you to this movie...just be happy she's happy, watching this with her could very well get you sex later. Ladies just remember...these gentlemen can be the husband that you never had, the dream boat guy that never came along, they can be the one night stand that you get to have tonight with them on stage (or movie screen).
It may not be all of them, but it sure is the best of them ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment