Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Batman: A legacy



   Batman. He is a superhero that everyone can look up to; a billionaire citizen who uses his money for good and all things humane. He is not greedy and, despite his lack of superhuman abilities, risks his own life to protect and serve the people of Gotham City. What isn't to love and look up to???
   What does any of this have to do with film? Well considering there are at least 7 live action Batman films, quite a bit. Over the years the 'Dark Knight' has been portrayed by many actors including Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, and (most recently) Christian Bale. Of all these I personally preferred Keaton, but this post is geared toward the more recent films Batman Begins (2005), and The Dark Knight (2008). Also to speculate the upcoming The Dark Knight Rises (2012).
   As I watched Batman Begins I could not help but lose interest, I know, I know, crazy right? How can you lose interest in a movie that is jam-packed with fighting, violence, action, and explosions? It's quite simple, I am a Batman fan. I am a fan of the original idea behind the Batman movies. I mean HELLO, we already got the back-story for Batman once in 1989 and I'm 100% sure he did not re-locate to Asia and learn martial arts from another white guy who just happened to be in a remote Asian temple in the middle of nowhere. That may be a little bias though (and considering I have not read the comic books with the real story, maybe a little presumptuous). So my other reason is also simple, Christian Bale. He just irks me. I mean I can appreciate a good actor that has the ability to play multiple roles such as George Clooney or Tom Hanks, but really Mr. Bale? You already had a good career history without playing Batman. And might I ask why you tried to play Batman as well as John Connor? Bad move...just awful.
   But I digress...the movie as a whole was not as terrible as I make it out to be. With such a great cast and a well carried plot you really can not go wrong. Cillian Murphy is fantastic as the villain and (of course) Morgan Freeman is a great Lucius Fox. I still dislike Christian Bale, and I don't really love Liam Neeson's character either. However Christopher Nolan may have twisted my childhood view of Batman's back-story, I still must give him credit for writing and directing and overall decent film.
   The Dark Knight is a whole different monster and as the hour grows late and this post becomes larger I feel the need to resume it at a later date.
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment