Saturday, April 7, 2012

As Good as it Gets (good times and noodle salad)

As Good as It Gets Poster   Finally, a real movie review! I just watched this movie and absolutely loved it. To me this movie is about three people and the way they impact one another. It asks the question I always ask myself, "Have you ever wondered if this is as good as it gets?" Well, have you? In this story an OCD old man, an anxiety ridden woman, and a gay artist battling depression and parental issues tackle this question. And the beauty of it is they don't even realize it. I guess I only have my perception of this movie and what I take away from it to offer you, so here it goes.
   This movie is so brilliant that I barely know where to even start...I guess I can start with the direction and cinematography. Both are (I truly hate to use this word so much, but I truly am at a loss for them...words I mean) brilliant. As far as the cinematography it's nothing compared to The King's Speech, but fro 1997 it's pretty great. At least the dramatic angles that need to leave an impression. To me I think the best part of this movie is the dialogue.
"How do you write women so well?"
"I think of a man and take away reason and accountability."
How do you disagree with that humor? You simply can't. There's a whole section where it talks about how everyone has their own serious problems to work out and Jack Nicholson's character, Melvin, states this isn't true. Some people's lives are all "Good times and noodle salad," which may or may not be true. The only way all of this is made possible is with good direction. Now in this instance I don't believe all credit goes to James Brooks, but without him I know this movie wouldn't be possible.
Greg Kinnear (as Simon Bishop) & Jack Nicholson (as Melvin Udall)
talking awkwardly over some Chinese soup
   Now for who I believe the credit for this movie truly goes to...Jack Nicholson. He plays Melvin Udall magnificently, who is an older man with a severe case of OCD that completely rules his life. Oh and he's a romance novelist. Yeah. Apparently a good one, but still. Self-hating OCD romance novelist with no ability to maintain long-lasting relationships? Paradoxical much? But I digress, Jack Nicholson took this part and ran with it. He filled it perfectly and to my understanding improved several of the lines (not many, but still). Now, while he was fantastic, his co-stars were equally entertaining and inspiring. Helen Hunt as Carol Conelly was amazing. She embodied the single mother beautifully and was able to convey the fear that a parent experiences well (not that I would know, but that's what I mean. She made me feel like I did know). Greg Kinnear was also amazing as Simon Bishop, the gay artist. His agent gets him a model off the street who robs and beats him, making him entirely re-think his life.
   I guess I gave away the portion I usually reserve for plot in with the character and actor explanation...but to recap Melvin, Carol, and Sam are mixed together in several unpredictable ways that ultimately change their lives. I would lump this movie in as an inspirational romance, which sounds rather odd (and for some very terrible), but I promise it's not. It's great and I believe everyone should watch it. At least for the good times and noodle salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment