Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (just another spy movie)

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol Poster   Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to watch this movie without wanting to hunt down the genius who decided to make a 4th Mission: Impossible film and kill him. I'm sorry, but 2 was a little ridiculous, and the third one was just pointless, but a 4th? And still with Tom Cruise??? He stands on a box to be tall enough for Christ's sakes. Although I will admit, this movie series is nowhere near the ridiculous point of the Die Hard film series. Which I can't say is terrible, just run over and beat down to a pulp. I mean what more can you do with Mission: Impossible movies? Tom Cruise, sexy (and often dangerous or lethal) lady, explosions, some guy close to Tom dies, an evil villain wants to kill everyone on our planet (clearly he didn't get enough love as a child), there's lots of hand-to-hand combat, and the quirky side-kick (usually techy) guy that everyone except Tom loves. Well, that was the review. I just told you all you needed to know about any Mission: Impossible movie ever made (FYI, Die Hard is the same...just replace Tom Cruise with Bruce Willis).
   I guess I can start with the acting since it's one of the better aspects...which doesn't say much. Tom Cruise plays the intriguing (I'd assume he's supposed to be sexy as well, but I don't find him that attractive)spy for an organization known as IMF, Ethan Hunt. We all know Tom Cruise can act, and I'm not a big fan so I won't gush as I usually do. He's good in this movie and captures the whole mysterious spy persona well. I'm a much bigger fan of the guy who plays Benji Dunn (Simon Pegg). He's a great British actor with a nice comical edge that you have to love. And despite the fact that he is comic relief, he can still be bad ass. Of course Simon Pegg does this wonderfully because, well, that's his role. I'm also a pretty big Jeremy Renner fan, because let's face it, he's attractive ;) haha. He plays William Brandt, and does it well. He's got that whole I've-got-secrets vibe going, but not in a mysterious vibe way. That may sound odd,but you'd have to watch it to appreciate it. I don't have time to go into detail of every actor/actress (especially not the actresses...damn you attractive women!), so I'll just say that everyone fills their niche (look at that, an ecology term! My teacher would be so proud) pretty well and be done with it.
   Another thing that's overkill in this movie is the theme song. Don't get me wrong, I've darted around humming this theme like a spy myself once or twice, but in the first 30 minutes you hear it more than once. Three times I believe? I'm not sure. I stopped listening. It's too much, even for an action movie.
(This isn't the exact theme used in the movie, they modify it, but you get the gist)
   To me this movie isn't a bad movie, it's just not a good one. The plot is pretty decent, it's got some cool spy gadgets, and there's even a hot chick bitch fight scene (although you can't call it bitch fighting since one is a trained assassin and the other a IMF agent, but apples and oranges). The cinematography was decent, nothing to gush over (much like everything else in this movie). I recommend this movie to anyone who loved the first ones, or anyone who digs action movies. If you only thought the first three were alright I wouldn't suggest seeing this one. Again, not trying to bash it, just saying it wasn't a great original film.
This message will self destruct in 5 seconds. Good luck readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment