Monday, April 16, 2012

Raiders of the Lost Ark (I hate snakes...I hate 'em)

Raiders of the Lost Ark Movie Poster   Today I review my first Indiana Jones movie... (1981). What does this movie not have? It's chalked full of adventure, explosions, romance (not the kind that makes guys wanna puke), and ancient artifacts! What more can you ask for? Oh and did I mention Nazi killing??? Yeah. Throw in a riveting plot, superb acting, fantastic directing, and a (young) Harrison Ford (with his shirt half un-buttoned throughout almost the entire film) and you truly have everything a movie needs. Of course there are some things I would liked to not have seen...the snakes...oh dear God the snakes...I'll have nightmares forever (I have a phobia of snakes to a ridiculous extent).
   Oh goodness...where to begin??? Let's start by talking about the genius behind all this...Steven Spielberg (with some writing assistance from infamous Star Wars director George Lucas)! This man had visions beyond anything imaginable in the film industry and made them a reality through the charismatic story of Dr. Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford). I mean everything about this movie is golden; from the cinematography, to the lighting, and even down to the special effects (you laugh at it now, but for 1981 that was some seriously cool shit!). The cinematography is great, the angles that are used to tell the story, put you right in the middle of the action, and make you feel like you're an adventurer just like Dr. Jones (well maybe not that real, but still, it's pretty great). And the lighting that is used gives it a really dynamic feel. In some scenes you get that menacing feel in the air, and in others you feel the light-hearted mood of the characters. While the special effects are greatly lacking by our standards, back then that was amazing! The way the ghosts come out of the Ark and the way the entire map room glows when Jones discovers the location of the Well of Souls...it's just so well done for the time! I can even talk about the soundtrack for the movie...I mean it all goes with the flow of the film and almost makes you want to use it as the soundtrack for your own life (my personal choice would be the Lord of the Rings Trilogy soundtrack, but that's a discussion for another time...)! I just like everything technical about this film.
Ahhh Indiana Jones...behind those glasses and bowtie is a sexy adventurer...
Aw, he's so knowledgeable looking...
   On to the acting! I must say for a movie with a lot of small actors they did an amazing job! My two favorites are Karen Allen as Marion Ravenwood, and John Rhys-Davies as Sallah. Marion Ravenwood is the head-strong daughter of Dr. Jones mentor (now dead) and while watching you discover they've got a little history that she hasn't let go of. Karen Allen does a great job of portraying her personality. Sallah on the other hand is Indy's kind-hearted friend from the past who John Rhys-Davies turns into a lovable teddy-bear-like character that everyone loves! I seriously just want a hug from him. I feel like it would just make me a happier human being. But I digress...they're both energetic and bring a lot to their characters that I love. Thank you to them both for their wonderful work.
...and now he's sexy!
   Now (DRUM ROLL PLEASE) on to the star of the film......Harrison Ford. He plays the great adventurer Dr. Indiana Jones! And can I just say bravo? Harrison Ford you are a gorgeous man (well not so much anymore, but back in the day you had the stuff there stud!) and you embodied Indiana Jones so perfectly that I really can't see you as much more than him (or Han Solo, but that's the Star Wars fan in me trying to break free). I can't really say any more without just drooling over Harrison Ford so here it goes...he's so awesome! I love how he can look so cute in his glasses and bow tie then super sexy in his hat and adventurer get-up. Truly lovely. I love the fact that his shirt is un-buttoned almost the whole movie (and in Temple of Doom, while not as good as this movie, he loses almost his whole shirt in a fight). He's my current dorky-girl obsession (last month it was Batman) which is why I'm ranting and raving about him so much.
   To wrap things up I just want to say you should watch this movie. I recommend it to almost anyone and truly think it's a good family movie (maybe not for some kids depending on your parenting views, but I don't see too much of a problem with kids idolizing Indiana Jones). I can't think of any really clever saying or quote from the movie to add (which is upsetting since this is such a good movie, but eh. It happens) so I'll just finish this up by saying you should watch it. If not for Harrison's charm and good looks then at least for the explosions and near-death experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment