Monday, March 26, 2012

Snow White (and the 7 movies apparently?)

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Poster   Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, aka my childhood idea of beauty and perfection. So why, might I ask, is there a new craze to re-make Walt Disney's beauty into a comedy AND a serious dramatic flick? And why in God's name are they releasing them in the same year? I must say this baffles me. So I'm writing this entry simply to pre-review these movies.

Mirror Mirror Poster   Let's begin with the more promising of the two, Mirror Mirror. This movie looks cute, funny, and FILLED to the brim with magnificent acting. Julia Roberts never ceases to amaze...ever. However, I'd really like to know where this idea popped up from? I mean Snow White with a giant comical twist and crazy costumes? Excuse me for preferring the natural adorable-ness (that's totally a word) of classic Disney, but I definitely do and no matter how great you are Julia Roberts you won't measure up to the Evil Queen of Walt Disney's classic Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs...
Snow White and the Huntsman Poster
  Now on to the more questionable (and in my opinion sheerly horrifying) of the two, Snow White and the Huntsman. So first off, was there a collaboration with these movies? I mean did a group of people get together and just decide to 'fix' Snow White then argue about which idea was better; comedy or odd battle film? Then finally decide on both? I'm genuinely curious. And I only see ONE good thing about this movie: Chris Hemsworth. Genuine Australian EYE CANDY! A lot about this movie intrigues me, yet manages to repulse me at the same time...for instance Kristen Stewart? Are we going to be able to see more than one expression on your face sweetheart? Or is it going to be Twilight all over again? Seriously, that acting was terrible and the only reason people liked it is because it was Twilight. At the same time I feel MAYBE this role would suit her better than Bella Swan...however I could be completely off mark and we could be staring at another several hours of an awkward teenage face... Another intriguing (yet terrifyingly odd) aspect is the Evil Queen. She seems truly evil, in a scary way. Were they going for a slightly mature adult film here? Because right now that's what I think...you've got a sexy Australian, an awkward girl (playing Snow White so maybe add beautiful?), and an VERY creepy Evil Queen...to me that adds up to odd sexual tension between hottie and (not that pretty) Snow White, and some murdering and (from the previews) apparent soul-sucking from the Evil Queen? Not appropriate for children. Perhaps this is like when Anne Rice re-wrote Sleeping Beauty?
   So these three movies have about a total of three things in common:
  • Snow White
 
  • An Evil Queen (questionable for Julia Roberts?)



  • Prince Charming (and lets add the Huntsman in the 3rds case)

   I guess my frustration lies in the fact that to me Snow White is untouchable. I know both movies hold promise and personally I can't wait to see at least one of them (definitely Mirror Mirror).

No comments:

Post a Comment