Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Devil Wears Prada (high fashion)


"That's really what this multi-billion dollar industry is about...inner beauty."
   So much can be said for this movie in my opinion...it may not be an innovative film, or anything above and beyond, but it is still quite amazing. It shows how people can change and how life can affect you in the most difficult of ways. I personally love this movie (it's Meryl Streep, I practically worship her) and I think it's a really nice chick-flick kinda film. It's a nice one to watch when you want to have a night in with your chick friends. This movie has a tad of romance a multitude of fashion, drama, and no tear-jerking scenes.
Anne Hathaway before
(Good personality, bad clothes)

   The best part to me is the acting. Why does Anne Hathaway always play the ugly-girl-gone-pretty though? She's still a great actress, and in this movie it can be argued that it's flipped to pretty-gone-ugly (her personality anyway, her looks definitely ugly-to-pretty). Next I have to praise Emily Blunt for her outstanding work. She did so well as the hateful assistant! With all joking aside though she did really well in her role. I'm a big fan of hers as well. Another actor who I absolutely adore is Stanley Tucci. He's so amazing! I think he gets no credit for his amazing work and want to take this time to say, good job Stanley. Anyone that can make it in life with the name Stanley is truly great (seriously that's a terrible name). He is fantastic though (even if his name isn't). I must save the best for last; Meryl Streep. I'm in love with this woman! She's so amazing (I've said this about almost every actor I know). Everything she does she goes all the way and perfects it. She's just fantastic. What role can't she play? 
Anne Hathaway after
(Bad personality, good clothes)
   I can't really drag on about cinematography much in this movie, but I can rave about the wardrobe! This movie was the most expensive costumed film in history costing what is said to be over 1 million dollars. Yes, 1 MILLION dollars. I mean tons of real fashion designers wanted in this movie and can I say I want them all!!! Especially the olive dress in the picture to the right (the after picture). And the dress Andy (Anne Hathaway) wears to the event in one of the final scenes. To talk about the real impact this movie has I have to talk about certain scenes and the soundtrack. Some of the scenes, like when Miranda (Meryl Streep) is fighting with her husband and telling Andy of her divorce, the way Meryl Streep acts is great, and just the dynamics of the scenes are pretty fantastic. Like Andy being down the stairs looking up at Miranda (the fight scene). And when Miranda is sitting down without makeup on looking downtrodden (divorce scene). And the soundtrack plays an important role in the movie as well. While subtle, it flows with the movie. I can't name off all the songs and everything, but if you listen while you watch, you get the feeling of each scene better.
   So while this movie may be no masterpiece, I believe it speaks for itself in the sense that it really is great. The actors and actresses were all amazing (the 5th or 6th time I've said it I realize), and the costume was of course fantastic! There isn't much you can say bad about this film and the only people who I believe don't like it just aren't into these kinds of movies. I recommend it mostly for girls, but it's one you could talk your boyfriend into watching with you without terrible disagreements (it's not chalked full of gushy romance and sad junk...plus there are hot chicks so he'll be more likely to watch). If you haven't yet seen this movie I believe you should, a million girls would kill for it (you'll get that after you watch it).

No comments:

Post a Comment